Tuesday 14 June 2011

E3 - How did Sony win?

Let's be honest, E3 failed this year. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome to see Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed Revelations and so many other much-loved titles in working order, but the press conferences from the big players in the industry really annoyed me. Microsoft would take to flogging Kinect to high heaven, Sony could do little more than give us some information on the NGP (now the PlayStation Vita, a name that I actually approve of), and Nintendo showed off a new console, which I have much to say about.

Admittedly the tech specs for the Wii U (stupid name right there) are awesome, a Nintendo console with HD graphics and some mean processing power, about time too. I have little quarrel with that, but with the controller for the Wii U, I must admit my ultimate hatred. I like revolutionary stuff, where new technology leads us into a brighter future and all that jazz, but the controller for the Wii U seems to me to be the ultimate gimmick, something that I am getting sick and tired of seeing.

E3 did bring to us many new games, some of them epic, some of them not so much, but for the most part I enjoyed each press conference and all the new games announced. So now I bring us to the point of this blog post, to discuss who I consider to be the winner of E3 this year. Let's face it, there's a developer or major player in the industry that outshines all the rest. This is a fact, and it becomes a contest to decide which one did the best and how they did this.


This year I believe the true victor was the underdog, Sony. Though they have suffered much by hackers and naysayers, they stood out as the most comfortable and most noble among the developers. I was half expecting them to talk about the hack and nothing else, apologising up and down and leaving, with a little bit of their dignity intact, by showing the price and release date of the NGP. We got so much more. First off, the fans were understanding and considerate, hailing Sony with applause instead of snubbing them.


Then Sony announced the new name for the NGP to be the PlayStation Vita, which I completely approve of by the way, gave us a price of about $250 (£229 for us), and just took everything in their stride. Well done Sony, many thanks and good luck with your future endeavours. As for Nintendo, your system is epic, but your controller is too big, and as for Microsoft, no-one likes Kinect, yet you throw it at us relentlessly. Thanks for Halo 4 (THANK YOU) but cut the crap with Kinect, this is boring us to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment