Saturday 11 June 2011

The Call of Duty Question

To be honest, I have always been a Call of Duty fan-boy. To further this act of sacrilege I am also a dedicated fan-boy of halo as well. What can I say, I was raised on FPS games, they are my speciality, though I do enjoy the odd puzzle or RPG.


Let's look at the Call of Duty titles from various standpoints, rather than passing judgement on the series as a whole. Specifically, let us examine my latest acquisition, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the PC. From a technical perspective, this game is perfect, being not too high, nor too low of a specification. Visually, this game is spectacular, blending all manner of environmental features into a single scene, a very impressive and visually pleasing feat.


However, the crowning glory of Call of Duty titles has always been its gameplay. The gameplay of each title is diverse and enthralling, with the multiplayer standing out every time. Let's take Call of Duty 2 as an example for assessing the multiplayer. Though an earlier title, it boasted a highly intuitive multiplayer that was easy to adapt to and extremely fun to play. though it lacked the fast paced combat we know today, it provided an excellent stepping stone for Infinity Ward, and for the Call of Duty series as a whole.


Now let's look at how the games have evolved over time. One feature that has definitely not changed over time is the story. Each game features it's own unique story, sometimes played from multiple perspectives, other times really only seen from one. An example of a good story is Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the one that started off the hype craze we've become accustomed to over the lifetime of Call of Duty.


This game was developed with the modern setting in mind, a change in pace for the developer as Infinity Ward decided to move away from the ageing World War Two setting. Admittedly, it benefited them well and they have moved mountains with this decision. It allowed them to develop their own story, with their own unique environments and characters, each memorable in their own right. It's something that has stayed with us, and something that we treasure as a dynamic point for the development of the Call of Duty franchise.


Though some may bitch and moan about the Call of Duty franchise, I feel that I can comfortably stand up and say that I am a Call of Duty fanboy and stand by my convictions. I look forward to the next game in the series with great anticipation. I guess I must, since I pre-ordered it the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment