Friday 27 May 2011

Digital Distribution - The Way Forward

First off, allow me to point out that I am a dedicated Steam user. Steam has brought into our lives a digital medium we could never have foreseen in the past. And thus was born the era of digital distribution, where people can simply download games via a dedicated platform like Steam, Games for Windows or even the EA Store.


I love technological advancements, and I love looking back and realising just how far we've come. When you think about it, the prospect of e-mail would have been unbelievable 30 years ago, and now look where it is.


Digital distribution is advantageous for a number of reasons. Firstly, it requires minimal effort, it's quick and easy like internet shopping. Secondly, it's often cheaper than buying the actual game through retail. However, it's sometimes better to have the physical copy to hand, and Steam deals are only cheaper if they're on offer, otherwise they're the normal retail price and their prices don't change with demand or depreciation.


All in all, I'd say that Steam is an excellent platform. Don't think I'm some kind of insane Valve fanboy, as I don't like waiting six years for a game either, but I will say that I like Steam, and would recommend it to any gamer, casual or serious. Keep in mind though that it's not just Steam, even though Steam is probably the dominant platform. consider EA, GOG or Games for Windows, as they all offer great deals from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment